Friday, September 6, 2013

Draft day (one of two)

I just want to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE DRAFT DAY!!!

Our draft actually happened twice and I loved every minute of both.

Originally I was really nervous about the draft. I was afraid everyone was going to see right through me and my lack of football knowledge. Nothing says fake like showing up to a football draft and not knowing a single player other then Andrew Luck. So B-Rad and I prepared.

The whole week of work before the draft we watched the cheat sheets and compared PPR and Standard league players. Scuba Steve gave me his pointers on which Running Backs to pick up and when.

We discussed practically knowledge like: resist taking a QB in the first round because running backs are more important. Try to take a top Tight end in the third or forth round. Don't reach for a good defense they don't typically go until the 12th round. Don't even worry about Kickers, they are all almost the same.

So finally draft day has arrived. My friend Mr. Anderson picks me up after work and we ride out to a bar in Warren called Ashley's. We are told the had wireless and ample amounts of amazing beer. Both of these claims were incorrect.

So when Mr. Anderson and I get there we set up our computers and try to get on the internet. No luck. More people show up with their laptops. Still No wireless. We bring the manager over, he restarts the router. Still no wireless. The draft clock is ticking down. They won't give us access to the employee wireless. There are like 8 to 10 people frantically trying to get online.

Then we go into auto-draft. The commissioner is pissed since when he booked our reservations they promised the internet would work and that they would be happy to have our draft party.

Not only was the draft a bust, but so was our server. We spent the next few hours drinking, talking and making fun of our server who we actually wanted to file a missing persons report for. She also called me and my friend BabyCakes.

The best part of this whole experience is what I felt a whole lot more comfortable with the people on my league. They didn't seem to care how much experience I had or that I wasn't a football fan. Or that I prefer the Colts over the Lions (I kid, they actually did care about that one).


No comments:

Post a Comment