Friday, September 6, 2013

Draft day (two of two)

So since our first draft was all kinds of silly. We needed to reschedule.

So I get a text from Mr. Anderson the following day (Saturday) saying "Monday, 5pm" and I respond with "okay, hopefully I will be out of work"
He shoots back. "Nope, just taking a poll to see if it will work"

A few hours later "Tonight, 10:15pm. BDubs"
I respond with "Cool. do we need to be there are 10:15 or before"
He shoots back "just taking a poll about tonight"

I am at work and chatting with B-Rad during all of this. B-Rad says that BDubs is a great place to have a draft. So I am excited, plus I am also excited to hang out with everyone again for a second night in a row. more beer, more fun.

about 8 I get a text that says "10:15 draft tonight, remote draft. doing it from home"

To put it lightly I was bummed out.

So 9:45 rolls around and I hop on yahoo and B-Rad gets on Facebook to talk me through my first draft.

Suddenly its 10:15 and my heart is beating. We enter the draft and it is the coolest thing ever.

I feel that I did pretty well. I started out picking up the strongest running back available to me as the 8th slot in a snake draft (a snake draft is 1,2,3....12, Then 12, 11,10...1, Then 1,2,3... you get the picture). I got Ray Rice and Darren Sproles. My next step was to get a tight end (as B-Rad recommended) and I picked up Jason Witten.

Some strange things were happening in my draft. I read the research and listened to my coach and everyone was saying don't get a QB in the first round. However Mr. Anderson got Tom Brady and RG3 in his first and second round. Then there was a rush on quarter backs. I wanted Andrew Luck, so I took him in the 4th round. I think if he would have been ranked higher i would have been shit out of luck because the top 8 QBs were gone by then. Then I went with wide receivers (Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith).

Then another strange thing happened. B-Rad said defenses don't really start to go until after the 10th round. However round 6 the first Defense is picked. I try to follow the advice given to me I pick up another RB, WR and RB but defense are going by round 10 I get the best I can which is Cincinnati.

In round 13 I learned an important lesson from the Draft. Pay attention to the bye weeks. I wanted to pick up a backup QB and I go for Philip Rivers. B-Rad (via facebook) tells me I just wasted a pick

I HAD NO IDEA WHAT BYE WEEKS WERE!!!! For those of you who don't know - bye weeks are the week that team isn't playing. I picked a back up QB who has the same bye week as my first pick QB which means, week 8 I won't have an player in that position who can pick up points. I am flipping out!!!!

I recover as best as I can, I get my kicker and Then get a 3rd QB - Ryan Tannehill.

The lesson for this day was that it might be a good idea to know about the structure of the football season BEFORE the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment