Sunday, September 1, 2013

Well, it's almost football season.

When I told my friends I wanted to play fantasy football this year, I was met with confusion.

There was some laughter, some jokes but even more people asked me why.

Why would a 26 year old woman with no previous interest in football want to play a game that involves stats, time and most importantly football?

Some of my friends mistook my interest in fantasy football as a way to get closer too/impress my football loving boyfriend. This is incorrect. I love my boyfriend, but this season isn't for him. It's for me.

I want to play fantasy football for me.

I want to gain a greater appreciation for one of America's past times. I want to be involved in conversations about football. Most importantly I want to try something new.

Now my football backgrounds is limited. I was in color guard in High school and for one year in college. Which meant I not only watched but I attended several seasons of football games. I have dated football fans and one of my exes was an assistant high school football coach. I have sat through Super Bowl Parties. I taught football players at a teaching assistant during my master's program.

But frankly I am from a hockey family. We never watched Football growing up.

I am not disinterested in sports. I played golf in High school. I swam as a child. I even played roller derby for almost two years before a knee injury took me off skates for good.

While football never seemed interesting to me, there is something about football that millions of other people love. Frankly I want to know what that love feels like. I want to cheer for people I don't know. I want to go to a game and drink beer and trash talk like the best of them! I want to talk to people about how so-and-so played. I want to feel the excitement of victory and the sadness at the end of the season.

I think the best way to become a part of the football culture is to fully immerse myself and that is with fantasy football.

So here goes a grand personal adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment