Sunday, September 1, 2013

Preseason jitters - Standard leagues compared to PPR leagues

I don't know about other people who play FF, but I have dealt with more nerves then I care to admit.

When I made the decisions to play this year, my friend Mr. Anderson (Yes, people really call him that) offered me a spot in the league he plays in. His good friend is the commissioner and there were a few opens slots. Over Monday night dollar beers I was told that it was 20 dollars to play but it was "a-maz-ing".  Might I add this was over three months ago.

20 bucks is a lot when you have a master's degree and no one wants to give you a job. So you work part time at a golf course to pay off your student loans and you live with your parents when you are 26. (sorry that was really just venting). However I decided back in June that I was going to do this. Putting up the money has just made me more serious about the whole thing.

So now that I had a league, I had to actually learn about fantasy football.

Thankfully working at a golf course has provided me with many football loving coworkers. So I started asking around. I heard my boss Scuba Steve (yes, we actually call him that) is really in to FF. So I ask him for advice. All he says to me is "Just watch the cheat sheets."

Then I found a hidden gem, my co-worker B-Rad (yes, I actually call him that too). When B-Rad heard that I was getting into fantasy football, we suddenly became bros. Then he became my coach. That's right. I have a FF coach. B-Rad, the best coach this side of...well Lake Michigan I think.

Suddenly I found myself in conversations I wasn't prepared for. For Example "Is your league a standard league or a PPR league?" 

For those of you who don't know (like I didn't know) the difference between the leagues is how they are scored. ( WARNING: if you aren't interesting in learning about FF skip to below the red section)


Standard leagues are scored - six points for touchdowns (quarterbacks often only receive for points for passing scores), one point for every 10 rushing or receiving yards, one point for every 25 passing yards, mine 2 for interceptions or fumbles 
 (linked to my source)


PPR leagues are scored by passing, rushing and receiving points. Here is a points breakdown I got from Footballguys.com
Passing -
  • yards passing - One point per 20 yards (e.g., 240 passing yards = 12 fantasy points)
  • 4 points for every passing TD
  • Minus one point (-1) for ever interception thrown
  • 2 points for every 2-point conversion.

Rushing -

  • Yards rushing - one point per 10 rushing yards. (e.g., 100 rushing yards = 10 fantasy points).
  • 6 points for ever rushing TD
  • 2 points for every 2-point conversion

Receiving
  • Yards receiving - one point per 10 receiving yards (e.g., 73 receiving yards = 7.3 fantasy points)
  • 6 points for every receiving TD
  • 1 point for ever catch
  • 2 points for every 2 point conversion

I learned that depending on how your league is set up to score will change the value of specific players. Thankfully I found this out before the draft. B-Rad and I had been preparing for a standard league draft, not a PPR. I am still not 100% sure how this is going to effect everything but once our first game happen I am sure it will make more sense.
Finally when my boss Scuba Steve realized I was serious about FF he gave me some advice too! Which really surprised me since I figured he didn't like me. Too bad his advice was WAY above my level of understanding.

Look, Fantasy Football is already bringing me closer to people. Now I have an awesome bro/coach in B-Rad and Scuba Steve and I have a topic we can actually talk about together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment